Arbor Youth Services completes renovations to home that provides youth with a place to stay

LEXINGTON, Ky. (WKYT) – Arbor Youth Services is a Lexington nonprofit organization for homeless youth that provides them with a place to spend the evening. With the help of Police Officer Ryan Holland, Ashley HomeStore and the community, they can now expand to 18-24 year olds.

Bunk beds and a new bathroom now line the Arbor Youth Services floor for their much-needed young adult space. Lexington Police Officer Ryan Holland had to take children to this facility, and he wants to help first hand in any way he can to get the children to sleep in a safe place.

“Children who come here who we don’t normally see on the streets open my eyes to the problems we really have in the city. That’s why you know it’s kind of a blessing to see people coming together to meet a need,” Holland said.

A need that Lauren Hansley and her team at Ashley HomeStore were able to fill by donating 14 new beds to the establishment.

“So we want to make sure they’re sturdy, but would be comfortable to sleep on. Many of these children are used to sleeping on the ground, in a tent, under a bridge or whatever. So we wanted to make sure they’re really comfortable,” Hansley said.

Lori Clemons, executive director of Arbor Youth Services, said it was going to be life changing, but she tells us there is still work to be done. The organization received only 60% of what it needed to carry out its much-needed renovations. Without the remaining 40%, they might not be able to stay open until the end of the year.

“The challenge is to use the other 40%, so we don’t have to shut that down in the future,” Clemons said.

People can start coming as needed and all they have to do is arrive before 8pm to check in and they can have a place to spend the night.

Get the WKYT News app on ROKU, Apple TV, and Amazon Fire.(WKYT)

Copyright 2021 WKYT. All rights reserved.

Comments are closed.