Binghamton gets $1 million for youth center
VESTAL, NY (WSKG) — The city of Binghamton will receive $1 million in federal funding for a new youth center as part of the U.S. government’s 2022 spending program.
In a joint statement Tuesday, U.S. Senators Chuck Schumer and Kirsten Gillibrand of New York announced the award, which they said would help the city bolster its recreational and extracurricular offerings.
City officials allocated $3 million from its US federal bailout allocation to build a youth center last September. The city council, however, voted not to allocate those funds after construction costs came back higher than originally expected last month.
The city has since filed plans for a newly built youth center, but Binghamton Mayor Jared Kraham said the project continues to enjoy bipartisan support and the city will seek alternative avenues.
“As the city determines what is the best way to move forward and achieve this goal, having this support from federal funding will help us do that,” Kraham said last week.
This could potentially involve St. Mary’s Recreation Center, located just off Columbus Park and owned by St. Mary of the Assumption.
Kraham said the city is in conversation with the church, as well as Binghamton native and Monmouth University basketball coach King Rice.
“It could be a million dollars for renovations that will make it even better suited to serve the community,” Kraham said.
No official plan or timetable has been announced.